History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

29, Pilton Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0872 / 51°5'14"N

Longitude: -4.0621 / 4°3'43"W

OS Eastings: 255673

OS Northings: 134012

OS Grid: SS556340

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CYJV

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.Z5N

Entry Name: 29, Pilton Street

Listing Date: 19 January 1951

Last Amended: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485734

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5534 PILTON STREET, Pilton
684-1/2/352 (West side)
19/01/51 No.29
(Formerly Listed as:
PILTON STREET, Pilton
(West side)
No.29
(New Inn))

GV II

House, at one time a public house. C17 with later alterations.
Rendered; slate roof, gabled at ends; rear lateral stack.
Somewhat altered but the main block is single depth and was
probably 2 rooms wide originally with No.30 (qv) a cross-wing
at the right end.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical front with 4 windows on the ground
floor and 3 on the first. Eaves board and moulded eaves
cornice. Ground floor has narrow recessed front door to left
of centre. Tripartite sash to left of centre 12-pane in the
centre and 4-pane in the outer lights. To right of the front
door a shallow projecting bay window with 32 panes and 4 to
each return. 2 ground-floor windows to the right are 4 over
8-pane sashes. 3 first-floor 12-pane hornless sashes.
INTERIOR: retains chamfered cross beams but one, at least, is
said to have been introduced from elsewhere. Remains of large
fireplace to rear lateral stack, narrowed and bricked in. C17
trusses, mortised at the apex, the foot of one cut off to
provide an axial corridor on the first floor.
HISTORICAL NOTE: recorded as an inn in 1859, named after Sir
William Fraser. Sold in 1868 and renamed the New Inn.
De-licensed in 1971 and divided into 2 houses, of which this
is one.
(Reed MA: Pilton, its Past and People: Ilfracombe: 1985-:
137).


Listing NGR: SS5567334012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.