This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4918 / 51°29'30"N
Longitude: -0.0542 / 0°3'15"W
OS Eastings: 535181
OS Northings: 178775
OS Grid: TQ351787
Mapcode National: GBR JB.P0V
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.0RPS
Plus Code: 9C3XFWRW+P8
Entry Name: Former Clare College Mission Church
Listing Date: 27 June 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471339
Location: Southwark, London, SE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Rotherhithe
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Rotherhithe St Mary with All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3578NW SOUTHWARK PARK
636-1/30/703 (South side)
27/06/96 Former Clare College Mission Church
Mission church, later converted to studios. c1900 and
1911-1912. By John W Simpson and Maxwell Ayrton. For Clare
MATERIALS: ferro-concrete wall; shallow pitched roofs of tile,
with broad eaves and gable facing to short ends.
PLAN: rectangular with a transept-like projection from the
south side near west end; the transept flanked by
single-storey entrance porches; single-storey polygonal apse
at east end. Incorporates remains of earlier single-storey
parish room which now projects from the north-east corner of
the east end, obliquely towards the park.
EXTERIOR: windows to nave are segmental-arched with shouldered
and eared flush architraves; apron sills; band of tile below
sills demarcates a plinth approx 2m high. Upper section of
west wall pierced by roundel. Original lead caming of
decorative design now damaged.
Transept, south elevation: pair of double, flat-arched lights
intersecting tile band; under the eaves a wall-mounted
bellcote, above which a chimney breast running through the
eaves to terminate in a rebated stack; the breast flanked by a
pair of flat-arched windows. Round windows to porch tucked
into corner at south-west end, and in upper reaches of east
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the mission was staffed by undergraduates
from Clare College, Cambridge, and run by the Church of the
Epiphany Mission in Bermondsey. One of the earliest reinforced
concrete churches in London, the structure was converted into
artists' studios in the late 1960s.
(English Heritage London Division Historians: Clare College
Listing NGR: TQ3518178775
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings