This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.499 / 51°29'56"N
Longitude: -0.0511 / 0°3'3"W
OS Eastings: 535378
OS Northings: 179581
OS Grid: TQ353795
Mapcode National: GBR JB.9SL
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.2LC7
Plus Code: 9C3XFWXX+HH
Entry Name: London Hydraulic Power Company Former Pumping Station
Listing Date: 1 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471228
Location: Southwark, London, SE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Rotherhithe
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Rotherhithe St Mary with All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3579 RENFORTH STREET
636-1/6/633 London Hydraulic Power Company
01/07/83 former Pumping Station
Pumping station, later engineering works. Dated 1902. For
London Hydraulic Power Company (with company name on plaque).
Local stock and Suffolk brick with red brick dressings to
semicircular window arches.
Main block of pump room ranged east-west has a lofty series of
arched windows and oculi in the gable ends which have stepped
brick detailing and parapet gables to clerestory. Tall
tapering octagonal chimney stack on tall square base with
engineering brick plinth at north-west corner of pump room.
Accumulator tower with blind arcading, panelled frieze,
cornice and parapet raised in gable over short sides. Lower
north blocks support large panelled cast-iron settling tanks,
carried on steel frame internally.
Was in its original use until 1977; pumps and engines since
removed. More recent use as engineering works. Following the
company's Wapping Station, this one established the design
type for the company's subsequent stations.
Listing NGR: TQ3537879581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings