This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3673 / 50°22'2"N
Longitude: -4.1344 / 4°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 248299
OS Northings: 54112
OS Grid: SX482541
Mapcode National: GBR RCM.C8
Mapcode Global: FRA 2872.7EC
Plus Code: 9C2Q9V88+W6
Entry Name: Fish Market
Listing Date: 30 July 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473828
Location: Plymouth, PL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4854SW THE BARBICAN, Barbican
740-1/62/85 (East side)
30/07/90 Fish Market
Fish market. 1896. By Sir James Inglis, engineer to GWR.
Cast-iron and steel structure, slate or lead covered roofs;
former clearstorey now closed by asbestos cement sheeting;
rainwater discharged down the cast-iron columns which support
PLAN: rectangular plan with central solid and glazed structure
incorporating office and refrigeration unit, this is fronted
to all sides by open canopied shelters projecting 2.5 metres
from their supporting columns.
EXTERIOR: single storey; each long side with 6 pairs of
cast-iron columns and decorative floral spandrel brackets. The
round columns, cast by MILLBAY COY LIMITED, PLYMOUTH, are on
octagonal bases and with stiff-leaf capitals, these carry
cambered latticed steel wallplate/purlins which girdle the
perimeter of the building behind the projecting canopy. Under
the canopy on the street side are some original granite setts,
otherwise concrete floors. The gable ends have bracket-moulded
and pierced barge boards and central finials and pendants; the
outer edge of the lower canopy has a continuous fretted
valance of "railway station" type, with broad swept curves,
inflected to the column positions at the short ends of the
building. A flat-roofed white brick structure with granite
dressings is built into 3 bays of the street side. There are
iron gates to a central throughway. To the central building on
the street side are 3-light transomed casements, and on the
harbour side is a row of single-light casements to cambered
voussoir heads, and a series of doors.
INTERIOR: softwood boards as lining under the roof.
HISTORY: Sutton Harbour Improvement Company widened the quay
and built the Fish Market on reclaimed land above new sewage
This is a good complete example of a characteristic Victorian
fish market, prominently sited in an important historic area.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX4829954112
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings