This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5873 / 54°35'14"N
Longitude: -0.9701 / 0°58'12"W
OS Eastings: 466656
OS Northings: 521830
OS Grid: NZ666218
Mapcode National: GBR PHND.SC
Mapcode Global: WHF82.2YBP
Plus Code: 9C6XH2PH+WX
Entry Name: Saltburn Pier
Listing Date: 20 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475497
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6621NE LOWER PROMENADE, Saltburn
802-1/8/44 (North side)
20/05/74 Saltburn Pier
(Formerly Listed as:
SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA
SALTBURN BY THE SEA
Pier. 1867-1869, restored 1978. John Anderson engineer and
building contractor, for the Saltburn-by-the-Sea Pier Company.
Cast-iron flanged pipe uprights; wrought-iron cross-ties and
diagonals; wood deck beams and deck. Reported to be
approximately 207m long. 20 triple trusses are tied and cross
braced by iron bars. Each truss has outer columns thrust
outwards at base.
HISTORY: wood beams across support lengthwise beams of deck.
The first seaside pier in the north east of England. Some
renewed steel trestles (Nos 21-30) removed during restoration.
Anderson's design possibly derived from Brunlees' designs for
cast-iron railway causeways. Truncated from 457m to 381m after
storms in 1875. Acquired in 1879 by the Saltburn Improvement
Company. Iron work was carried out by Messrs Cochrane and
Grove of Ormesby Foundry. Shortened after 1974 storms but
remaining structure unchanged.
(Industrial Archaeology Review: Spring 1980: Harrison JK and
Harrison A: 148-9; Piers information sheets: Mickleburgh T:
Saltburn Pier, Yorkshire: Wilmington, Dartford).
Listing NGR: NZ6665621830
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings