This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9023 / 51°54'8"N
Longitude: -2.0777 / 2°4'39"W
OS Eastings: 394747
OS Northings: 222639
OS Grid: SO947226
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.PJ0
Mapcode Global: VH947.XGY2
Plus Code: 9C3VWW2C+WW
Entry Name: 11, St Georges Place
Listing Date: 20 August 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475811
Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE ST GEORGE'S PLACE
630-1/9/805 (West side)
Terraced house. c1805-20. Stucco over brick with concealed
roof and cast- and wrought-iron balconies.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. Stucco detailing
incudes tooled architraves to windows; first- and second-floor
bands, crowning cornice and blocking course with copings. 6/6
sashes where original, taller to first floor, except 3/6
sashes to second floor; all in plain reveals and with sills.
Central entrance a part-glazed, 4-panel door with fanlight and
tooled round arch to head on acanthus corbels.
INTERIOR: staircase behind front, left room has stick
balusters and newel post.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: individual first-floor balconies have
embellished rod and central circle motif, also found on Nos
15, 17, 27, 31, 33 and 37 St George's Place (qqv).
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally known as Stills Lane, it was the
only road connecting the High Street with the Royal Well Spa
before the Promenade. A terrace of 4 houses (2 now destroyed)
called St George's Place was commenced in 1805 and
subsequently gave its name to the whole street.
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9474222639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings