This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8887 / 51°53'19"N
Longitude: -2.09 / 2°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 393903
OS Northings: 221130
OS Grid: SO939211
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.DG2
Mapcode Global: VH947.QSGH
Entry Name: Oakfield
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388098
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476096
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9321SE THE PARK
630-1/21/917 (North side)
14/12/83 Nos.93, 95 AND 97
(Formerly Listed as:
Villa, now flats. c1830-50. Stucco over brick with concealed
roof and left lateral stack; pergola to return.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement, 3 first-floor windows.
Central breakforward. Stucco detailing includes plinth
surmounted by paired pilasters to ends and breakforward,
tooled architrave, frieze and cornice; windows in tooled
architraves, those to first floor have cornices, that to
centre on brackets. Central entrance, steps to double 4-panel
doors (with tooled panels), sidelights and overlight with
tooled architrave, within porch with pairs of Doric pillars,
architrave, frieze, cornice and pediment. Mainly 1/1 sashes,
that to centre, first floor is a tripartite window with
cambered head. Outer first-floor windows have balconies on
scroll brackets with pierced balustrades. Basement has 6/6
sashes. Crowning architrave and blocking course with copings.
Left return: 1:3 first-floor windows. Full-height bow with 6/6
sashes, those to first floor have tooled architraves and
floating cornices; shutters and blind boxes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor outer windows have stucco
balconies with arcading. Bow to return has pergola with
scrolled uprights and frieze.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which for a short period in the mid-C19 became a
zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. One of the principal
developments influenced by White's and Nash's schemes for
Regent's Park, (1808-11) London.
A very good villa design, the 3-dimensional treatment pointing
the way to the increasing informality of mid-C19 design.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9390521129
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings