This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9011 / 51°54'3"N
Longitude: -2.0774 / 2°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 394769
OS Northings: 222506
OS Grid: SO947225
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.PLM
Mapcode Global: VH947.YG3Z
Plus Code: 9C3VWW2F+C2
Entry Name: Numbers 5 and 6 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476176
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE WELL WALK
630-1/9/980 (West side)
05/05/72 Nos.5 AND 6
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.5, 6 AND 7)
House, possibly 2 houses, now restaurant and attached
railings. c1776-1799 with later additions and alterations,
including c1850s and late C20 shop fronts; c1980s skylight
windows to attics. Stucco over brick with artificial slate
roof and brick right end stack and iron railings.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basement with attic, 2 first-floor
windows. First floor has 2 canted bay windows with 6/6 between
2/2 sashes, that to right continues from ground floor. Second
floor has two 4/4 sashes in plain reveals and with sills.
Ground floor has steps to 2 central entrances, a part-glazed
door (at left) and a 6-panel door, the upper 4 panels glazed
(at right). To left a tall canted bay with multi-pane glazing
and frieze; to right a canted bay with multi-pane glazing and
frieze. To entrances and left part are fluted pilasters with
fleurons. Basement at right has double doors, part-glazed.
Raised and coped gable end to right with kneeler.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings to sides of steps have stick
balusters with wreathed handrail. Area railings renewed.
HISTORICAL NOTE: HS Merrett, architect and surveyor to the
Pittville Estate (1835-6) lived at No.6 in 1835. Well Walk (or
Old Well Walk as it was known in the C19) was laid out by
Andrews, the town surveyor, in 1743 to designs supplied by
Norborne Berkeley, as a long avenue of elms extending for over
900 yards past Henry Skillicorne's original Pump Room and Well
to the lower part of what is now Bayshill Road. As such this
Walk, with its C18 houses, is an important survival of the C18
spa town development and frames one of the main entrance ways
to the Parish Church of St Mary, Church Street (qv).
Forms a group with No.7 Well Walk (qv) and Bank House, Nos 45
and 47 Clarence Street (qv).
(Cheltenham Local History Society Journal: Blake S: Henry
Merrett's Plan of Cheltenham: 1983-; Little B: Cheltenham:
London: 1952-: 34).
Listing NGR: SO9476822507
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings