This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7797 / 51°46'47"N
Longitude: -1.2643 / 1°15'51"W
OS Eastings: 450848
OS Northings: 209265
OS Grid: SP508092
Mapcode National: GBR 7XD.C5D
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.1JFH
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 12 July 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487892
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Summertown
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Summertown St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/0/10077 LONSDALE ROAD
12-JUL-01 Church of St Michael and All Angels
Anglican Church. 1909. Alfred Mardon Mowbray (1849-1915). Coursed ragstone with stone dressings with brick originally temporary west end. Early English style.
PLAN: One bay aisled nave (four bays intended) with two further bays that open to wide and deep transepts to north and south. Deep chancel of three bays, same width as nave flanked by low arcaded aisles to Lady Chapel at southeast and two-level service area to southwest with vestry below and organ loft above reached by stair from north transept.
ELEVATIONS: South: Projecting transept with steeply pitched roof and round quatrefoil above pair of large pointed arch windows each with three quatrefoils above two pairs of lancets framed by stone hood-moulds that step down to meet stone buttresses. Lower Lady Chapel also with buttresses and lancets with hood-moulds arranged in sets of 3. Chancel wall above Lady Chapel has three lancets to each bay. West: Brick with 4 high brick buttresses. North: Projecting transept with windows that match south elevation. Wall to chancel has three high lancets to each bay. East elevation: Large window with cinquefoil at centre top with five lancets below. Lady Chapel separate at exterior. Bellcote over crossing. Stone plaque marked, 'February 11 1909'
INTERIOR: Tall nave and chancel with transepts of almost equal height to the nave that together with the high pointed arch nave arcading with slender stone piers suggests a hall church. Wood, 5-part ceilings throughout with wood ribs to stone wall shafts out of the compound piers. High chancel arch spans the width of the nave. Chancel with shallow steps to altar. At west end, long and low half-arches to aisled bay of nave separating aisle from transepts. Wide arch to Lady Chapel from south transept with 1921 war memorial window to east end set in stone altarpiece with carved angel busts. Stone font.
Listing NGR: SP5084509269
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings