This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3205 / 54°19'13"N
Longitude: -2.5397 / 2°32'22"W
OS Eastings: 364991
OS Northings: 491794
OS Grid: SD649917
Mapcode National: GBR BLPG.YZ
Mapcode Global: WH943.YNSP
Entry Name: Queen Victoria Memorial Cross, Queen's Garden
Listing Date: 26 January 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1400656
Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Sedbergh
Built-Up Area: Sedbergh
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
A memorial Anglo-Celtic cross to Queen Victoria, erected at the centre of a public garden in 1902. The cross was designed by Hicks & Charlewood with sculptural work by H T Miles, and the garden was designed by Thomas Mawson.
DESCRIPTION: a tall Anglo-Celtic cross standing 5m high. Slightly tapering rectangular shaft on a shaped plinth bearing the words H T MILES, ULVERSTON. The cross head has bosses with crosshatch decoration and interlace decoration to all sides. The front and rear have elaborate carving of carved interlace and strap work with a central panel of foliate decoration.
Inscription on the north face reads: "VICTORIA, QUEEN, EMPRESS/ 1837-1901/ REVERED, BELOVED, REMEMBERED"
Inscription on the south face reads: "THESE GROUNDS/ WERE LAID OUT AND/ PRESENTED TO THE/ TOWN OF SEDBERGH/ AS A LASTING MEMORIAL OF THE/ GLORIOUS REIGN OF/ QUEEN VICTORIA/ BY HER FAITHFUL/ SUBJECT/ FLORENCE ANNE/ UPTON-COTTRELL-DORMER"
A memorial cross to Queen Victoria was erected as the centre point of Queen's Garden in 1902. Queen's Garden was designed and laid out by Thomas Mawson on land donated by Mrs Upton-Cottrell-Dormer of Ingmire Hall. The cross was designed by Hicks & Charlewood of Newcastle upon Tyne who have numerous listed buildings to their names including a drinking fountain in the town centre (listed Grade II). The sculptural work of the cross was executed by H T Miles whose work includes a statue of Queen Victoria housed within the Grade II* Barrow Town Hall and the memorial cross marking the grave of John Ruskin to the design of W G Collingwood (Grade II). The cross was unveiled at a formal ceremony on October 31 1902 by the Lord Bishop of Ripon, the full details of which are contained in a piece in the Sedberghian, the official magazine of Sedbergh School. The gardens containing the memorial cross were handed over to the parish council on March 26 1906.
This commemorative cross to Queen Victoria is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Group value: it forms the centrepiece of a public park designed by Thomas Mawson
* Artistic quality: it is a well designed and executed commemorative structure by regionally important designers and sculptor.
* Historic interest: Queen Victoria is a highly significant national figure whose reign is commemorated by this cross
Other nearby listed buildings