History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Low Birks

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3173 / 54°19'2"N

Longitude: -2.5372 / 2°32'13"W

OS Eastings: 365152

OS Northings: 491437

OS Grid: SD651914

Mapcode National: GBR BLQJ.H3

Mapcode Global: WH944.0R34

Entry Name: Low Birks

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484509

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text

SD 6591,
162-1/20/275


SEDBERGH,
BIRKS LANE (East side),
Low Birks

(Formerly Listed as: BIRKS LANE Rawthey Cottage, Low Birks and barn attached to south end of Low Birks)

14/06/84

GV

II

Millworkers' cottages with attached stable, now house and
cottage. 1762 (dated at 1st floor); facade largely rebuilt and
former stable remodelled and integrated with house in 1980.
Coursed mixed rubble with quoins at junction with cottage to
left (former quoins at junction with stable to right removed
during rebuilding), stone slate roof. The house is 1 "-depth
and two units, the cottage to the left also two units, and the
former stable to the right 1 unit.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, now 2+2:1 windows. The original house is
symmetrical, with a slate band over the ground floor; the
doorway and flanking windows have shallow triangular-arched
heads with rubble voussoirs, the windows at 1st floor have
straight stone lintels, and all these windows are now 2-light
casements with glazing bars (replacing former
horizontal-sliding sashes). In the centre of the 1st floor is
a re-set date stone lettered "H / C E / 1762". Chimneys at both
original gables. The cottage to the left has a gabled porch
flanked by 2 casement windows with altered glazing windows on
each floor. The former stable to the right now has a 2-light
casement with glazing bars on each floor. Rear: house has
central stair-window flanked by 2 windows on reach floor.
INTERIOR: despite radical rebuilding of the front wall,
retains most original features of interest, including a
fireplace with corbelled lintel in the rear right-hand room,
built-in C18 cupboards in both front rooms, staircase with
muntin-and-plank side panelling, doors at 1st floor with
fielded panels, and 2 pegged collar trusses in the roof.


Listing NGR: SD6515291437

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.