This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4862 / 51°29'10"N
Longitude: -0.1923 / 0°11'32"W
OS Eastings: 525611
OS Northings: 177914
OS Grid: TQ256779
Mapcode National: GBR 1P.0D
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.MX61
Plus Code: 9C3XFRP5+F3
Entry Name: Tomb of Herbert Fitch, Brompton Cemetery
Listing Date: 21 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1403331
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW10
County: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Redcliffe
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Luke, South Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
Tomb of Herbert Fitch and family, by Flemings & Co, c.1933.
MATERIALS: Portland stone, verde marble, bronze and mosaic
The monument takes the form of a classical aedicule in Portland stone, located alongside the Ceremonial Way. Two square pilasters and two verde marble columns in antis, these with bronze Corinthian capitals and bases, support an entablature with egg-and-dart and bead-and-reel carving and a frieze inscribed 'Family Vault of Herbert Fitch'. Inside the aedicule are six stone tablets, edged in green and gold tesserae, commemorating Herbert Fitch (d 1933), his wife Jeannie (d 1935) and sons Herbert Trevor (d 1935), Frederick Vernon (d 1941) and Clive Evelyn (d 1921); the sixth tablet is blank.
The small 'forecourt' in front of the aedicule is flanked by solid walls and paved with a mosaic showing the family coat of arms (three leopards) and the motto 'Facta non verba', meaning 'Deeds not words'.
Herbert Fitch was the founder of the printing company Herbert Fitch and Company, based on Bury Street in the City of London. His tomb records that he was also a Master of the Worshipful Company of Stationers and a member of Lloyds (that is, a subscribing member of the Society of Lloyds, a syndicate of insurers).
Brompton Cemetery was one of the 'magnificent seven' privately-run burial grounds established in the 1830s and 1840s to relieve pressure on London's overcrowded churchyards. It was laid out in 1839-1844 to designs by the architect Benjamin B Baud, who devised a classical landscape of axial drives and vistas with rond-points at the intersections marked by mausolea or ornamental planting, the latter devised by Isaac Finnemore with advice from JC Loudon. The main Ceremonial Way culminates in a dramatic architectural ensemble recalling Bernini's piazza in front of St Peter's in Rome, with flanking colonnades curving outwards to form a Great Circle, closed at its southern end in a domed Anglican chapel (the planned Catholic and Nonconformist chapels were omitted for financial reasons) The cemetery, never a commercial success, was compulsorily purchased by the General Board of Health in the early 1850s, and has remained in state ownership ever since.
* Architectural interest: an unusually decorative tomb, of Herbert Fitch and family, taking the form of a classical aedicule, and enriched with various materials including bronze capitals, green marble columns and coloured mosaic
* Group value: located on the Ceremonial Way, which is the principal thoroughfare in the Grade I-registered Brompton Cemetery, and having group value with other listed tombs nearby.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings