History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mausoleum of Colonel William Meyrick, Brompton Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Redcliffe, Kensington and Chelsea

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4864 / 51°29'10"N

Longitude: -0.1927 / 0°11'33"W

OS Eastings: 525585

OS Northings: 177930

OS Grid: TQ255779

Mapcode National: GBR 0P.YB

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.MW0X

Plus Code: 9C3XFRP4+HW

Entry Name: Mausoleum of Colonel William Meyrick, Brompton Cemetery

Listing Date: 21 December 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1403336

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW10

County: Kensington and Chelsea

Electoral Ward/Division: Redcliffe

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Luke, South Kensington

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shepherds Bush

Summary


Mausoleum of Colonel William Meyrick, c.1855.

Description

MATERIALS: Portland stone

A large Neo-classical mausoleum, rectangular on plan, with fielded panels to the sides and rear, pedimented ends and a ridged stone roof with large honeysuckle acroteria. Heavy door of cast iron, stained to resemble bronze, with four panels bearing openwork and relief ornament. Bronze armorial plaque in front pediment. Surrounded by iron railings of Classical design.

History

Brompton Cemetery was one of the 'magnificent seven' privately-run burial grounds established in the 1830s and 1840s to relieve pressure on London's overcrowded churchyards. It was laid out in 1839-1844 to designs by the architect Benjamin B Baud, who devised a classical landscape of axial drives and vistas with rond-points at the intersections marked by mausolea or ornamental planting, the latter devised by Isaac Finnemore with advice from J C Loudon. The main Ceremonial Way culminates in a dramatic architectural ensemble recalling Bernini's piazza in front of St Peter's in Rome, with flanking colonnades curving outwards to form a Great Circle, closed at its southern end in a domed Anglican chapel (the planned Catholic and Nonconformist chapels were omitted for financial reasons). The cemetery, never a commercial success, was compulsorily purchased by the General Board of Health in the early 1850s, and has remained in state ownership ever since.

Reasons for Listing

* Architectural: a particularly large and imposing Neo-classical mausoleum with good surviving ironwork;
* Group value: it is located within the Grade I-registered Brompton Cemetery and has group value with other listed tombs and structures nearby.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.