This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4524 / 51°27'8"N
Longitude: -0.0394 / 0°2'21"W
OS Eastings: 536329
OS Northings: 174420
OS Grid: TQ363744
Mapcode National: GBR K8.6R8
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.8RKH
Entry Name: Crofton Park (St Hilda's) War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1449909
Location: Lewisham, London, SE4
Electoral Ward/Division: Crofton Park
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920.
Tall Celtic-style wheeled cross of Cornish granite, splaying onto a trapezoidal plinth; the front face bears the inscription: + TO THE GLORY OF / GOD AND IN LOVING / MEMORY OF THOSE FROM / THIS PARISH WHO HAVE / LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / A.D. 1914 - 1919 / THEIR NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE, with the other three faces bearing the names of the Fallen. This rests on another trapezoidal plinth section, each face bearing further names. The whole rests on a two-step base, the corners of the bottom step each having a raised square block.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 January 2018.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at the Church of St Hilda in Crofton Park as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. The memorial was unveiled on 29 May 1920 by General Sir Ian Hamilton GCB GCMG DSO and was dedicated by William Hough, Bishop Suffragan of Woolwich; also in attendance were a large crowd of church officials, families of the Fallen and local residents. Its designers were FH Greenway and JE Newberry and it was carved by the local stonemason Mr W Richards, at a cost of circa £350, paid for by local subscription. Upon unveiling the cross, General Hamilton proclaimed thus, “So I unveil this Celtic Cross, more glorious as a record of our race than marble Kings and Queens, or even than the Abbey that holds them.”
Crofton Park (St Hilda's) War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: as a dignified and imposing Cornish granite cross war memorial;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed Church of St Hilda.
Other nearby listed buildings