This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.078 / 56°4'40"N
Longitude: -4.4613 / 4°27'40"W
OS Eastings: 246917
OS Northings: 689978
OS Grid: NS469899
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q.P5RC
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.FHTC
Plus Code: 9C8Q3GHQ+6F
Entry Name: Coldrach
Listing Name: Coldrach House and Steading
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335242
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4043
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Built 1763-1769 by Alexander Gowan, mason, Coldrach is a tall 2-storey and attic farmhouse situated on an elevated site facing SW, 1 room deep with a U-plan single storey range of offices adjoining the rear (NW) elevation. There is a U-plan steading to the rear of the farmhouse. Coldrach is a relatively little-altered example of a mid-18th century Buchanan Estate farmhouse with associated offices.
The 3-bay front (SE) elevation is symmetrical; there is a central 2-leaf timber boarded door with a rectangular 2-light fanlight above; the door opening, with plain painted margins like those of the windows, is obscured by a lean-to porch / greenhouse. The windows, including the 2 bipartite piend-roofed dormers, are larger than might be expected of an 18th century building which suggests that the house may have undergone some remodelling in the 19th century. There are 4 windows on the NW side elevation, but only 1, lighting the attic, on the SE side elevation. The simple design is embellished by a discreet cavetto eaves cornice to front and rear elevations.
The rear (NW) elevation has a single storey lean-to section with flanking projecting piend-roofed wings. Athough the considerable thickness of the wall between the main house and the single storey lean-to section suggests that it was once an outside wall ,and that the single storey sections are a later, perhaps 19th century addition, contemporary records of the construction of the house make reference to 'offices adjoining to the back part' (Scottish Records Office, GD 220/6/1455/5)
Cast iron 20th century range to kitchen (in single storey lean-to section). Moulded cornicing to ground and 1st floor rooms, much original/19th century woodwork including architraves and shutters. Reeded timber chimneypiece to ground floor (SE) room. Stone stair with moulded risers; plain droved stone steps to attic flight.
Harled random rubble with squared quoins (some harl has come away). Mostly modern 12-pane timber sash and case windows; some 12, 8 and 2-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to single storey sections. Piched roof; graded slates; stone skews and moulded skewputts. 2 gable-head stacks and 1 wallhead stack to 2 storey section; ridge stack to NW single storey wing; wallhead stack to end of SE single storey wing; all stacks brick with circular cans.
Situated immediately to the NW of the house, the U-plan steading is rubble built with roughly squared quoins, some of which is harled, with piended roofs, mainly covered with graded slate. The outer elevation of the SW range has 3 cart-arches; there were probably originally 6, but the others have been altered to allow modern farm equipment to access the barn.
Other nearby listed buildings