This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0666 / 56°3'59"N
Longitude: -4.4509 / 4°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 247516
OS Northings: 688687
OS Grid: NS475886
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.PVDY
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.LSQ3
Plus Code: 9C8Q3G8X+MJ
Entry Name: Hall, Stirling Road, Drymen
Listing Name: Drymen, Stirling Road, Former United Secession Chapel (Drymen Church Hall)
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396498
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48983
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1819 with late 19th and late 20th century additions. Rectangular-plan; 2-bay; former United Secession chapel. Plain design with round-arched windows. Late 19th century porch to E; large late 20th century addition to N. Eaves course; slightly projecting eaves and purlins ends. Harled with painted ashlar dressings to original block.
N and S ELEVATIONS: large window to each bay to original block; those to N side have keystones and similar splayed dressings at springing point of arch. Late 19th century porch adjoins set back to E; round-arched entrance surmounted by gable to S side; 2-leaf boarded timber door; re-used sandstone plaque carved as open book with finger pointing at centre and inscription 'Christ Is Head Over All His Body The Church 1761' to gable; small round-arched window to left of door; large late 20th century addition adjoins gable end of addition to N side of porch, extending to W in front of original block.
E ELEVATION: gable end of late 19th century porch adjoins blank gable end of original block; 3 windows; window to addition to right; large late 20th century addition adjoins set back to outer right.
Leaded fixed light windows. Grey slate roof.
INTERIOR: plain with later boarded timber dado. Marble tablet inscribed 'In Memory of Rev. Andrew Wilson, Minister of Drymen United Free Church 1857-1904' on W wall.
A plain building of 1819, listed for local interest as Drymen's original dissenting chapel. The unusual stone plaque (dated 1761) built into the later porch appears to have been removed from an earlier church building, possibly the 'old disused chapel of a Cameronian congregation, which stood at the south side of Duncryne, in the parish of Kilmaronock' mentioned by Guthrie Smith as the source of the former pulpit and interior fittings. The 1865 OS map shows a small projection on the the W side of the building, indicating that the original porch/entrance was probably on this side. The chapel was known variously as 'The United Secession Chapel' (the New Statistical Account), the UP (United Presbyterian) Church (the 1865 OS map) and the United Free Church.
Other nearby listed buildings