This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0088 / 56°0'31"N
Longitude: -3.3949 / 3°23'41"W
OS Eastings: 313123
OS Northings: 680423
OS Grid: NT131804
Mapcode National: GBR 20.TK7X
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.T7LD
Plus Code: 9C8R2J54+G3
Entry Name: 26-28 Main Street, North Queensferry
Listing Name: North Queensferry, 26, 28 Main Street (Black Cat Inn)
Listing Date: 12 July 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342381
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9984
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
1693. Two 2-storey houses (formerly an inn), 3-bays to No 28 (to S), 2-bays to No 26 (to N), rectangular-plan. Rendered, random rubble to S; stone margins to front, painted margins to rear. Inscribed pediment above ground floor window.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central pedimented window inscribed "TP / BC" within shield, rosette at apex; flanking timber boarded doors; window to outer bays. 3 1st floor windows to right centred above ground floor openings, penultimate window to right enlarged; 1st floor window to left. Information plaque to far right.
N ELEVATION: adjoining house and pend to N.
W ELEVATION: 4-bay; late 20th century alterations to fenestration and door openings. Modern conservatory to centre right.
S ELEVATION: plain gable.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows; modern windows to S half of rear elevation. Pitched roof; concrete pantiles; crowstepped skews; beaked and scrolled skewputts; coped gablehead stacks, clay cans.
This building is said to be the oldest standing property in the village and is situated on a prominent site in the Main Street. The current layout of the principal elevation is 3-bays to the left and 2-bays to the right; however, the original layout could possibly have been 2-bays to the left and 3-bays to the right. Older photographs from the NMRS Collection indicate that a now missing ridge stack was formerly located to the left of centre. These photographs also indicate that the ground floor window to the far right was formerly set closer to the door. The original owners were Thomas Peastie and Bessie Cruach (or Creech), corresponding to the initials carved into the window pediment. Previous listing notes from 1985 state that a contemporary fireplace lintel dated 1693 has been destroyed. The North Queensferry Heritage Trust plaque states: "This old tavern was constructed in 1693." The building was formerly in use as coaching inn and is still widely known by its original name, the Black Cat Inn. Previously, access to the front was from the pavement on a downward slope to W. A front garden was later built-up and steps were added when Main Street was altered possibly during the 1970s.
Other nearby listed buildings