This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3937 / 56°23'37"N
Longitude: -3.2097 / 3°12'34"W
OS Eastings: 325421
OS Northings: 723041
OS Grid: NO254230
Mapcode National: GBR 27.14W2
Mapcode Global: WH6QG.NKSC
Plus Code: 9C8R9QVR+F4
Entry Name: Errol Public School, Station Road, Errol
Listing Name: Errol Village, Station Road, Primary School Including Ancillary Buildings, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 21 September 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395583
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48176
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
Probably 1925. Single storey, 7-bay, Renaissance style Board School with ogee-roofed belfry. Raised base course and eaves cornice. Ashlar with raised margins. Keystoned, pilastered and corniced Venetian windows; glazed occuli. Stone mullions.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay with bipartite window giving way to gablehead with oculus, flanking ball-finialled cubic skew blocks and semicircular pediment, belfry with keystoned round-headed opening to each face and decorative cast-iron finial at roof ridge behind; smaller bipartite to flanking bays with deep-set timber doors and multi-pane fanlights beyond, that to right with disabled access ramp; advanced outer curvilinear gables each with broad Venetian window, flanking skew blocks as above and oculus in oversized triangular pediment.
NE ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with slightly advanced gable to centre detailed as outer bays to SE, flanking bays each with bipartite except outer right bay with single window.
SW ELEVATION: bipartite window to centre bay detailed as SE centre, flanking bays blank.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation including broad tripartite to right gable and 2 original piended dormers.
Multi-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped brick stacks. Ashlar-coped skews. Square-section gutters and cast-iron downpipes.
INTERIOR: some timber boarded dadoes; coombed ceilings. Pedimented timber 'Dux' board from 1925 - 1971.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: 2 slated and piended brick playsheds with cast-iron columns. That to SW with cast-iron water fountain (not working) stamped 'GLENFIELD & KENNEDY KILMARNOCK'.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: saddleback-coped squared rubble boundary and quadrant walls with pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar piers. High coped rubble boundary walls.
Formerly Errol Public School, becoming the Infant Department in 1964 and Errol Primary School in 1971. As the 'Dux Medallists' board dates from 1925 it is reasonable to date the building from this.
Other nearby listed buildings