This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1452 / 57°8'42"N
Longitude: -2.0976 / 2°5'51"W
OS Eastings: 394189
OS Northings: 806033
OS Grid: NJ941060
Mapcode National: GBR SCJ.7M
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.RN9T
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW2+3W
Entry Name: Tivoli Theatre, 34-48 Guild Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Guild Street and 1 Trinity Street, Tivoli Theatre
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355111
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20333
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Tagged with: Theatre
C J Phipps of London and James Mathews, 1872 and Frank Matcham, 1909 (see Notes). 3-storey, 7-bay theatre with striking Venetian Gothic polychromatic round-arched entrance front to S. Lower single bay gabled section to left. Grey and pink granite to entrance elevation and early use of concrete to rear. Timber and glass 2-leaf swing doors to each bay at ground; 7 to right separated by engaged polished pink granite columns. Round arches to windows with alternate vertical bands of red and grey stonework. Band course and cill course. Deep bracketed eaves.
Predominantly timber plate glass sash and case windows. Brick gable stacks. Grey slate.
INTERIOR: outstanding largely unaltered original Edwardian Baroque decorative scheme with original stage machinery. Small Front of House area with timber and glass box office windows. Curved auditorium with steeply raked circle and upper circle, supported by cast iron columns. Decorative cartouches and festoons. Circular ceiling with 4 painted panels and dentilled cornice. Rectangular proscenium with flanking slender columns with scroll brackets. Boxes either side of stage with recessed shell alcoves above. Original riggings and fly-loft machinery. Some original timber panelling and cornicing to dressing rooms.
The Tivoli is an outstanding and rare, near intact example of a Victorian theatre. It has a distinctive and striking entrance façade and an excellent interior decorative scheme. The building is the result of the work of two renowned theatre architects, C J Phipps and Frank Matcham. The interior has been described as one of the best remaining examples of Matcham's work in the United Kingdom (Walker 1980). The entrance elevation uses red and grey granite to create a polychromatic, round arched pattern, which makes an unusual and significant contribution to the streetscape.
Originally known as Her Majesty's Opera House, the theatre was originally built by C J Phipps and James Mathews and contains the first large-scale use of concrete in a theatre building in Scotland.
In 1897, Frank Matcham was asked to redecorate some of the building and also to improve the fire exits. The Tivoli closed in 1906 after the opening of the new His Majesty's Theatre nearby (see separate listing). In 1909, however, in preparation for re-opening, Matcham carried out a further scheme of improvements and reconstruction, which included extending the balcony forward to leave single boxes by the side of the stage. These works cost £10000. The theatre re-opened in 1910, changing its name to the Tivoli.
C J Phipps (1835-1897) is considered to be one of the first great theatre specialists of the Victorian Theatre. Based largely in England, his output includes The Garrick in London. He was succeeded by Matcham and others, whose designs tended to be more extravagant.
Frank Matcham (1854-1920), was one of the most respected theatre architects of the early twentieth century. Working around the UK, he designed more that 200 theatres, including the Kings Theatre in Glasgow (see separate listing), although only around 25 of his theatres now survive. As a largely unaltered building, The Tivoli is therefore an important remaining record of his work.
The Tivoli was primarily a variety venue and hosted many famous Scottish performers, including Harry Lauder, traditional fiddlers, Andy Stewart and The White Heather Group. A popular theatre, the queues for performances often stretched down Guild Street in both directions.
The theatre closed in 1966. It functioned later as Bingo Hall, but this too closed in 1997.
Currently disused (2006).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings