This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1468 / 57°8'48"N
Longitude: -2.088 / 2°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 394776
OS Northings: 806213
OS Grid: NJ947062
Mapcode National: GBR SDW.L8
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.WMXK
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW6+PR
Entry Name: Warehouse, 73-5 Regent Quay, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 73, 74 and 75 Regent Quay
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355297
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20467
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early to mid 19th century. 6-storey and basement, 4-bay rectangular-plan former warehouse converted to flats comprising 3 individually roofed blocks. Squared, coursed granite rubble. Double-leaf door to 4th bay with forestair and railings; rectangular openings to 2nd bay; smaller, square openings elsewhere.
Commerce Lane (N) Elevation: 7-storey and 3-bay with large segmental-arch opening to centre ground with regular loft openings at each storey above; small flanking windows to each floor. Irregular fenestration to W and E elevations. Granite sets to forecourt and low, coped wall.
Brown painted non-traditional windows to rectangular openings; predominantly 4-pane timber casement windows elsewhere. Piended slate roof; coped wallhead stacks to E and W elevations.
This tall substantial warehouse is recessed from the streetline and situated in a prominent location at the E end of Regent Quay overlooking the harbour. Notable for its tightly orchestrated arrangement of diminutive windows and equally distinctive fenestration to rear elevation with symmetrical smaller windows flanking central column of loft openings now glazed. Warehouse buildings were critical to the harbour and they are particularly characteristic of this part of Aberdeen. They are an important part of the city's industrial and social history, and are also notable for their individual stylistic variety. Nos 73, 74 and 75 Regent Quay is arranged in 3 individually roofed blocks. The three lower floors to Regent Quay were obscured by later additions when it was listed in 1984. They have now been removed (resurvey 2006).
The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for much of the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.
Other nearby listed buildings