This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1468 / 57°8'48"N
Longitude: -2.0878 / 2°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 394784
OS Northings: 806213
OS Grid: NJ947062
Mapcode National: GBR SDX.9J
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.WMZK
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW6+PV
Entry Name: 76-78 Regent Quay, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 76, 77 and 78 Regent Quay
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355298
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20468
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. Symmetrical, 3-storey and attic, 3-bay commercial and residential building with round-arched openings at ground floor. Grey granite ashlar with band course between ground and 1st floors; narrow eaves course. Narrow central doorway with timber door and spoked fan-light above; pairs of openings with margined glazing flanking with recessed cills and aprons.
Non-traditional brown painted timber sash and case windows to upper floors. Piended dormer to centre flanked by tripartite, canted dormers now joined to form box dormer. Irregular arrangement of fenestration to rear with 3-light attic box dormer above. Grey slate; coped gable end stack to E elevation; clay cans.
76, 77, 78 Regent Quay is a rare survival of an 'arcaded' ground floor level situated in the harbour area. Indicative of John Smith's planned Classical layout of the harbour, which was demolished in the later 20th century. Aberdeen's harbour has been responsible for a great deal of the city's early prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.
Other nearby listed buildings