This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1487 / 57°8'55"N
Longitude: -2.0989 / 2°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 394115
OS Northings: 806429
OS Grid: NJ941064
Mapcode National: GBR SCC.5J
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QLQ2
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX2+FC
Entry Name: 42 Upperkirkgate, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 42 Upperkirkgate
Listing Date: 23 April 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355529
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20582
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Earlier 18th century. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay building distinguished by rare survival of gable end facing street. Wet-dash harl to upper levels with raised cills. Later polished ashlar shopfront to ground.
12-pane stained timber sash and case windows to 1st floor; 4-pane casement windows to attic; grey slate; coped wall-head gable stack; narrow skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Comprehensively modernised (seen 2006).
No 42 is the only remaining property on Upperkirkgate which retains the once-typical gable facing the street in the manner of the medieval 'burgage'. It is therefore a rare survival and a significant part of the streetscape. 'Burgage' plots encorporated the need to still cultivate land within the town and generally related to the width of the house, with long plots running some distance from the back of the houses. The original entrance to No 42 would have been from the East, either through a pend or, if separated from its neighbour, by way of a garden.
Upperkirkgate stands on the site of one of the city's many ancient gates, or 'ports'. However, 'gate' in this instance may have formerly been 'gait' meaning walk or way. Most of what is visible in Upperkirkgate derives from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, but much evidence of earlier structures of previous centuries has been built into the later fabric. The buildings that lined the S side of Upperkirkgate were cleared from the 1930's onwards as part of a programme of slum clearances, and eventually to allow room for the civic buildings of the St Nicholas House development.
Other nearby listed buildings