This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1486 / 57°8'55"N
Longitude: -2.0989 / 2°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 394111
OS Northings: 806421
OS Grid: NJ941064
Mapcode National: GBR SCB.G9
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QLP4
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX2+FC
Entry Name: 44-46 Upperkirkgate, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 44 and 46 Upperkirkgate
Listing Date: 23 April 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355530
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20583
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay commercial and residential building. Roughly finished Loanhead granite ashlar. Later shopfront to ground; pend to right. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors; pair of tripartite canted dormers.
4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Steeply pitched roof; grey slate; ashlar stack to right gable end; brick stack abuts neighbouring stack to left; straight skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.
A good example of late 18th century townhouse with ground floor shop in this part of Aberdeen, with similar granite to that used throughout Marischal Street (Aberdeen's most important Classical thoroughfare). Nos 44 and 46 Upperkirkgate is a good example of the tall narrow townhouse with shops to the ground floor which are characteristic of 18th and 19th century Aberdeen. The pend would have provided access to the stairs to upper levels at the rear and side of the building.
Upperkirkgate stands on the site of one of the city's many ancient gates, or 'ports'. However, 'gate' in this instance may have formerly been 'gait' meaning walk or way. Most of what is visible derives from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, but much evidence of earlier structures of previous centuries has been built into the later fabric. The buildings that lined the S side of the street were cleared from the 1930's onwards as part of a programme of slum clearances, and eventually to allow room for the civic buildings of the St Nicholas House development.
Other nearby listed buildings