This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1486 / 57°8'54"N
Longitude: -2.099 / 2°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 394109
OS Northings: 806415
OS Grid: NJ941064
Mapcode National: GBR SCB.GB
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QLP5
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX2+CC
Entry Name: 50 Upperkirkgate, 48, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 48-58 (Even Nos) Upperkirkgate
Listing Date: 23 April 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355531
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20584
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. 3-storey and attic, stepped row of Classical commercial and residential buildings on sloping, corner site. Grey granite ashlar. 8 bays to N elevation with arcaded round-arch openings to ground floor; stepped band course; tall, regularly spaced openings to 1st and 2nd floors; narrow cornice; blocking course with metal flashing. Curved corner bay to far left returning to 3 bay gable-end elevation. Later shop front to ground; door to flatted apartments to far right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows with curved glazing to corner bay; grey slate pitched roof; pair of piended roof dormers to right; broad ashlar gable stacks; clay cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: partly seen (2006). Altered.
Previously listed as three separate buildings, Nos 48 to 58 are a refined run of commercial and residential buildings that make up a significant part of Upperkirkgate's lengthy run. Together, they form an important part of the streetscape. The round-arch openings to the ground floor lend the elevation an arcaded aspect reminiscent of many of Aberdeens most important Classical buildings.
Upperkirkgate stands on the site of one of the city's many ancient gates, or 'ports'. However, 'gate' in this instance may have formerly been 'gait' meaning walk or way. Most of what is visible derives from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, but much evidence of earlier structures of previous centuries has been built into the later fabric. The buildings that lined the S side of the street were cleared from the 1930's onwards as part of a programme of slum clearances, and eventually to allow room for the St Nicholas House development.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings