History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

44 and 46 Upperkirkgate

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1486 / 57°8'55"N

Longitude: -2.0989 / 2°5'56"W

OS Eastings: 394111

OS Northings: 806421

OS Grid: NJ941064

Mapcode National: GBR SCB.G9

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QLP4

Entry Name: 44 and 46 Upperkirkgate

Listing Date: 23 April 1987

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355530

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20583

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Later 18th century. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay commercial and residential building. Roughly finished Loanhead granite ashlar. Later shopfront to ground; pend to right. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors; pair of tripartite canted dormers.

4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Steeply pitched roof; grey slate; ashlar stack to right gable end; brick stack abuts neighbouring stack to left; straight skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

A good example of late 18th century townhouse with ground floor shop in this part of Aberdeen, with similar granite to that used throughout Marischal Street (Aberdeen's most important Classical thoroughfare). Nos 44 and 46 Upperkirkgate is a good example of the tall narrow townhouse with shops to the ground floor which are characteristic of 18th and 19th century Aberdeen. The pend would have provided access to the stairs to upper levels at the rear and side of the building.

Upperkirkgate stands on the site of one of the city's many ancient gates, or 'ports'. However, 'gate' in this instance may have formerly been 'gait' meaning walk or way. Most of what is visible derives from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, but much evidence of earlier structures of previous centuries has been built into the later fabric. The buildings that lined the S side of the street were cleared from the 1930's onwards as part of a programme of slum clearances, and eventually to allow room for the civic buildings of the St Nicholas House development.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.