This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6189 / 56°37'7"N
Longitude: -3.8666 / 3°51'59"W
OS Eastings: 285551
OS Northings: 749004
OS Grid: NN855490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT7.3JQ
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.KWYS
Plus Code: 9C8RJ49M+H8
Entry Name: Bank House, 1 Bank Street, Aberfeldy
Listing Name: 1 Bank Street, Bank House and Bank Building Including Boundary Walls, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356057
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20855
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Style of D Bryce, circa 1865 (possibly earlier, see Notes) and probably extended 1868 (see Notes). 2-storey, 4-bay, gabled former bank building with single storey entrance bay. Coursed and squared local chlorite-slate rubble with stugged ashlar dressings, and snecked random rubble. Some pointed-arch openings; hoodmoulds; raked cills; chamfered arrises and stone mullions.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 slightly set-back bays to centre, that to left with gabled stone porch, narrow light to each return, hoodmoulded pointed-arch doorway and panelled timber door, tiny window above breaking eaves into dormer gablet; bay to right with window to each floor, that to 1st floor breaking eaves into dormerhead; broad bay to outer left with window to each floor. Further gabled bay to outer right (probably later) with projecting centre containing tall tripartite at ground, fascia above and smaller tripartite to 1st floor, moulded outer angles giving way to stepped gablehead. Stepped single storey bay to outer right with moulded doorway, 2-leaf panelled timber door and deep blocking course.
E ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with ancillary (see below) adjoining at outer left. 3 advanced bays to right of centre, gabled bay to outer right with canted swept-roof window at ground and single window above, centre bay with window to each floor and bay to left with flat-roofed square-plan tripartite window with single lights to returns and deep corniced blocking course and further window to 1st floor. Lower set-back bays to left with 2 windows to each floor, those to 1st floor breaking eaves into dormerheads and that to ground left with fixed 4-pane glazing.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation including slate-hung dormer window to right of centre, gabled bay projecting at outer right with boarded timber door on return to left and flat-roofed single storey breeze-block extension to left.
W ELEVATION: single storey elevation with barred openings and extension at outer right.
Lying 6-, 8 and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows (those to ground N with plate glass glazing to lower sashes except to porch); 4-pane glazing pattern with decorative astragals to pointed-arch window. Grey slates. Ashlar stacks with tall paired polygonal cans. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding, pendant finials and decorative braces.
INTERIOR: plain and decorative cornices; decorative cast-iron dog-leg staircase; panelled room to NE at ground; some timber fireplaces and panelled shutters.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: slated, rectangular-plan ancillary with canted angle to W and deeply overhanging eaves. Roughly squared and snecked rubble with squared rubble quoins.
N ELEVATION: gabled elevation with voussoired depressed cart arch infilled with bipartite window, timber forestair from left leading to boarded timber door in gablehead.
W ELEVATION: panelled timber door to left at ground, angled bay to right with window.
S ELEVATION: 2 bays to left of centre with windows at ground and louvered hayloft openings above, later brick stack at outer left; rubble boundary wall projecting at centre and 2 altered openings to right.
E ELEVATION: gabled elevation adjoining bank building, with window at ground and small decoratively-astragalled, pointed-arch window above, both hoodmoulded.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND RAILINGS: low saddleback-coped boundary walls with inset railings and decorative ironwork gates.
Formerly listed as a 'Bank of Scotland' branch which closed in June 2001. Originally the Central Bank of Scotland, which may date from as early as 1837 as Mackay quotes a 'Building Lease' bearing this date, the building was taken over by the Bank of Scotland in 1868. The ancillary building probably provided stabling with hayloft over. The more elaborate gable to the right of the N elevation may have been added in 1868, as the stonework to N is slightly crisper and window margins to the S are obviously different to remaining openings of this elevation.
Other nearby listed buildings