This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5951 / 56°35'42"N
Longitude: -3.3396 / 3°20'22"W
OS Eastings: 317840
OS Northings: 745600
OS Grid: NO178456
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TG40
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.NHXH
Plus Code: 9C8RHMW6+25
Entry Name: Churchyard, Old Parish Churh, Kirk Wynd, Blairgowrie
Listing Name: Kirkwynd, Hill Church Graveyard
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357842
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22289
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
Late 17th century and later. Rubble walled enclosure on steeply sloping site at edge of ravine. Many headstones placed flat into ground (see Notes).
Earlier gravestones immediately to S and W of church with some tablestones and simple moulded apex styles including flat slab with large relief carved upside down letters 'HERE LYES THE BODYS OF JOHN BAXTER' died 1691; 1706 slab with skull flanked by crossed bones; small plain incised headstone dated '1745' and worded 'HERE LYS THE BONES OF JEAN MALL?'; and winged angel to simple incised stone (weathered inscription).
Burying ground of Macpherson family to SW boundary with cross-finialled crowstepped entrance (to W) incorporating boarded timber door surmounted by carved panel bearing 'MACPHERSON BLAIRGOWRIE 1789' over family coat of arms.
Later monuments include row of 19th century terraced enclosures to S, some retaining decorative ironwork, and steeply sloping site to E with scattered stones including square-section corniced ashlar column with inset marble panel 'In Memory of David Martin shoemaker who died 10 Aug 1804' surmounted by stylised pediments with corner acroteria and carved lamb on shallow plinth dated 1845.
Group with Hill Church. Owing to continued vandalism during the later 19th century, the local authority set many of the headstones into the ground. Wilsher lists an 'Abraham and Isaac' headstone dated 1769, no longer to be found.
Other nearby listed buildings