This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5947 / 56°35'40"N
Longitude: -3.3417 / 3°20'30"W
OS Eastings: 317710
OS Northings: 745559
OS Grid: NO177455
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TFNM
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.MHXS
Plus Code: 9C8RHMV5+V8
Entry Name: Gorsehill, Upper Allan Street, Blairgowrie
Listing Name: Upper Allan Street, Gorsehill Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 4 September 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397014
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49481
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
1846. Single and 2-storey, 3-bay villa with fine porch and interior. Bull-faced rubble with red bull-faced dressings; some brick margins to rear. Raked course at 1st floor. Stone mullions, stop-chamfered arrises and raked cills. Timber transoms and mullions to porch.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Rectangular-plan porch to centre at ground with 8-light mullioned window on timber base, similar 6-light window on return to right and part-glazed timber door on return to left, plain frieze and cornice above giving way to swept roof with decorative ironwork brattishing; bipartite windows in flanking bays. Raked course above giving way to slightly reduced 1st floor with small centre window and flanking projecting bays each with single window breaking into gablehead.
NE ELEVATION: gabled elevation with steeply-pitched roof, window to left at each floor and further altered window to right at 1st floor over single storey piended wing with 2 windows and further window on return to left.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation with lower wing to left, 3 windows to right at ground and stair window to centre at 1st floor.
SW (UPPER ALLAN STREET) ELEVATION: window to right at each floor, and to left at 1st floor over modern conservatory.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; coloured margined stair window and coloured glass toplights at porch. Grey slates. Shouldered and coped bull-faced stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place including decorative plasterwork cornices, panelled timber shutters and timber fire surrounds with cast-iron grates, some with tiled cheeks and those to ground floor with flanking turned pillars. Decoratively-tiled hall floor and screen door with Pilkington glass leading to stairhall with decorative timber balusters and finialled newel posts to timber dog-leg staircase and landing. Drawing room (ground floor W) with fine inlaid timber to doors, shutters, skirting and fire surround. Bathroom with boarded timber walls.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATE: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls with square-section, gablet-coped, bull-faced rubble gatepiers and decorative ironwork gate.
Formerly 'Corsehill', the house was built for a businessman who emigrated to Canada leaving a young girl, Gladys, in the care of a solicitor and housekeeper. She was unable to travel owing to poor health, but lived into her 90s, becoming a local character. Gorsehill was known locally as 'Gladys' House', and Gladys, always wearing black, would shake her umbrella at passing traffic. The house was sold in 1894 to Grace Campbell (or Grewar), owner of local fruit farms. Adam Grewar, fruit farmer, is the listed owner in 1919. At one time, the house boasted a timber bath.
Other nearby listed buildings