This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.8198 / 56°49'11"N
Longitude: -5.1036 / 5°6'12"W
OS Eastings: 210685
OS Northings: 774110
OS Grid: NN106741
Mapcode National: GBR FBSP.M19
Mapcode Global: WH1FR.KVY6
Plus Code: 9C8PRV9W+WH
Entry Name: St Mary's Church, Belford Road, Fort William
Listing Name: Belford Road, Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary and the Immaculate Conception and Enclosing Walls with Gate Piers.
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373103
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31780
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Fort William
Town: Fort William
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Reginald Fairlie, 1936-38. Rectangular church orientated
east/west, with east gable terminating as massive low square
tower with octagonal angle stair turret with facetted conical
roof. Piended single storey lean-to narthex runs almost full
length of west gable. All pinned squared grey granite, with
some random pink granite in tower masonry; tooled granite
dressings. All window openings round-headed; 3 long slit
windows light north face of tower and 3 similar, but shorter
slits high in south tower face. 8-bay north and south
elevations, lit by small windows, with bowed Baptistry with semi-circular conical roof projecting at penultimate west bay
of north front. Round-headed entrances in north and south of
narthex, the long (west) elevation being lit by 3 windows set
in 3 arched blind arcade.
Various wings project from south (rear) elevation, including
flat roofed chapel abutting gabled vestry projecting from
Cross finial at west gable apex; 3 triangular louvred roof
vents each side; slate roofs.
Interior; simple barrel vaulted nave with oak pews, tall
round-headed chancel arch supported by engaged columns with
capital carved with Celtic motifs opening to tall chancel.
Tooled ashlar chancel walls and wooden ceiling with beams
supported by stone corbels, both beams and joists moulded. 3
shallow round-headed recesses in east wall, the outer very
narrow, each with stone bracket supporting carved and painted
angels. String course links window and recess imposts.
Altar under sumptuous cast- and wrought-iron partially gilded baldacchino with facetted and pierced finial encircled by
decorative annulets with crowing cross. Chapel in south aisle
divided from nave by pair squat ashlar columns with carved
capitals entwined with cable moulding and with either oak or
floral based design in low relief. Similar treatment to both
flanking engaged columns.
Church surrounded by coped rubble wall, low to north (street
front) with simple cast-iron railings. Pair squared gate
piers with square caps and pair cast-iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Replaced former RC Church of the Immaculate Conception.
Other nearby listed buildings