This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.8211 / 56°49'15"N
Longitude: -5.1015 / 5°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 210819
OS Northings: 774240
OS Grid: NN108742
Mapcode National: GBR FBSP.G0Q
Mapcode Global: WH1FR.LTY8
Plus Code: 9C8PRVCX+CC
Entry Name: Ewen Maclachlan Obelisk And Gateway, The Craigs Burial Ground, Fort William
Listing Name: The Craigs Burial Ground, Ewen Maclachlan Obelisk and Gateway
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373106
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31782
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Fort William
Town: Fort William
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Burial Ground; irregular shaped burial ground enclosed by
simple coped wall, except for short length of crenelated
walling flanking gateway. Various 18th and 19th century
Obelisk; granite obelisk erected 1847 to Ewen MacLachlan,
1775-1822. Square corniced plinth with inset inscribed panels
in each face, on stepped base, supporting grey granite ashlar
obelisk. Gateway; 1690, re-erected 1896. Round-headed,
keystoned and pedimented entrance arch with blocked imposts.
All tooled granite; inscribed shield-shaped panel above arch.
Burial ground at Craigs establishd as cemetery to serve the
military fort. Ewan MacLachlan was a Gaelic scholar and poet.
Gateway formerly entrance to Fort William re-built in 1690-92
by General Hugh Mackay. Shield above arch inscribed "The
Arch was erected 1690 over the main entrance to the Fort and
was erected here in 1896 where Sir Alan Cameron of Erracht in
1793 raised the 79th or Cameron Highlanders Regiments which distinguished itself on many a hard fought field for King and
Country." Gateway spans original line of Fort William-Fort
Augustus (General Wade) road obliterated by the railway line.
Other nearby listed buildings