This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.614 / 55°36'50"N
Longitude: -2.8104 / 2°48'37"W
OS Eastings: 349050
OS Northings: 635902
OS Grid: NT490359
Mapcode National: GBR 83TJ.BC
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.S5W1
Plus Code: 9C7VJ57Q+JR
Entry Name: Lodge And Gateway, Scott Park, Scott Crescent, Galashiels
Listing Name: Scott Crescent, Scott Park Gate Lodge, Gatepiers, Gates and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 24 May 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373382
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31986
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
D and J Bryce (probably John Bryce), dated 1881. Single storey and attic, 3 bay roughly L-plan Baronial gate lodge with prominent multiple projections and crow-stepped gables with ball finials. Squared stugged buff sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course, stepped moulded string-course. Raised shouldered surrounds. Lean-to extensions to rear.
FRONT (NW) ELEVATION: projecting gabled porch to right with open roll-moulded shouldered arches. Projecting gabled bay to left with gabletted corner bays.
3-pane timber sash and case windows. Purple slate roof. Crowsteps with scrolled skewputts. Chamfered corniced gablehead stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods, decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: access to the interior was not gained at the time of the resurvey (2005).
GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low ashlar walls with moulded copes. Decorative cast iron railings and gates with Gothic detailing. Highly decorative gatepiers: square-plan with corner colonnettes. Corbelled, scrolled capstones and urn finials. Rubble walls continue southeast.
Scott Park Lodge, as well as being an interesting and picturesque composition in its own right, is an important remnant of the large estate at Gala House. The gate lodge is detailed and executed to the highest standard, to match David Bryce's earlier design for the main house, and is associated with the large formal gates, clearly the main entrance to the estate. Elements of the design, such as the angled, gabletted window bays and the multiplicity of gables, are unusual in such a small building.
Until the mid-19th century this part of Galashiels was unbuilt and lay within the formal policies of Gala House (Old Gala House). In 1872 this part of the park was laid out to accommodate a new house for Major Scott by David Bryce, a late work by the pre-eminent producer of baronial country houses in Scotland during the mid 19th century. The construction of the gate lodge is related to the laying out of Scott Street and Scott Crescent for workers housing from 1875-85. David Bryce died in 1876, but it appears his firm, which carried on under the name of D and J Bryce, were responsible for the lodges.
The policies were gifted to the Burgh in 1939 and were used as a site for a number of public buildings. New Gala House was eventually demolished in 1985. A second, simpler, lodge survives at Elm Row.
Other nearby listed buildings