This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8697 / 55°52'10"N
Longitude: -4.2957 / 4°17'44"W
OS Eastings: 256448
OS Northings: 666442
OS Grid: NS564664
Mapcode National: GBR 0BH.9M
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.ZQLL
Plus Code: 9C7QVP93+VP
Entry Name: Partick Sewage Pumping Station, 35 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 33, 35 Dumbarton Road, Partick Sewage Pumping Station
Listing Date: 6 February 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375890
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32862
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A B Macdonald, city engineer, dated 1904. Sewage pumping station; Scots Renaissance. 1 and 2 storeys, with sunk lower floors to side and rear. Various roof heights. 4-bay E section, single bay projecting gable-fronted linking section, lower 5-bay office section with single, gabled W bay. Polished ashlar, brick rear elevations.
W section to Dumbarton Road: bays arranged 1-2-1, outer bays advanced with crow-stepped gables, 4 ground floor level keyblocked thermal windows with moulded cills. 3-light, column mullioned windows above, segmentally aediculed in central outer windows, modillion cornice to centre, parapet.
Projecting central bay: keyblocked arched recess through 1st and 2nd floor, bowed tripartite ground floor window with column mullions, thermal window above.
Simple E section with 5 sash and case windows in architraves with bracketted cills; console bracketted cornice, embattled parapet. Further W gable with kneelers and apex block, keyblocked thermal window at ground floor.
E return elevation: low level keyblocked, arched entrance set in stepped architrave with relief sculpture, flanked by blind oculi. Tripartite window over. Crow-stepped gable. Semi-engaged embattled corner turret corbelled out over ground floor. Turreted covered pipeway over River Kelvin at E. Plain rear elevations with E section detailed as Dumbarton Road elevation. Polygonal brick chimney stack with frieze, cornice and parapet.
Interior: elliptically arched, pilastered, polychromatically-tiled pump room. Mezzanine gallery carried on cast-iron half-fluted columns. Moving crane dated 1902.
Originally steam powered. Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising 10 Dumbarton Road, Partick Bridge over River Kelvin, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block, Art Gallery and Museum and The Cameronians Monument.
Other nearby listed buildings