History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Partick Bridge over River Kelvin

A Category B Listed Building in Hillhead, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8696 / 55°52'10"N

Longitude: -4.2943 / 4°17'39"W

OS Eastings: 256538

OS Northings: 666431

OS Grid: NS565664

Mapcode National: GBR 0BH.LN

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.0QDM

Entry Name: Partick Bridge over River Kelvin

Listing Date: 9 September 2006

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398868

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50583

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Hillhead

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

1876-8, manufacturer Hannah, Donald & Wilson of Paisley, engineers R B Bell & D Miller, contractor Hugh Kennedy. Single cast-iron arched road bridge with stone flood discharge tunnel to S. 4-centred arch formed of 9 ribs. Quatrefoil tracery pattern with shield motif to parapet. City of Glasgow Coat of Arms to spandrels. Abutments, piers and approach walls of red sandstone ashlar. Semi-octagonal towers reaching above the parapet at the abutments. Terminates with pair of large squat polygonal piers with stepped polygonal caps to NW and SE. 4 inset cast-iron panels to NE and SW with inscriptions mirrored (see Notes). Cast-iron lamps to approach walls dated 1994.

Statement of Interest

A good example of a cast-iron road bridge with a notable decorative quatrefoil tracery parapet. Bell & Miller were responsible for a number of cast-iron bridges in Glasgow including the Clyde Street Albert Bridge and the Great Western Road Bridge over the River Kelvin (both listed at category A). It forms a significant part of the streetscape in this area.

The inscriptions read, 'PARTICK BRIDGE FOUNDATION STONE LAID AD 1877 BY HUGH KIRKWOOD ESQ KILLERMONT' and 'PARTICK BRIDGE COMMENCED AD 1876 JOHN FERGUSON ESQ PROVOST OF PARTICK ENGINEERS R B BELL & D MILLER CONTRACTOR HUGH KENNEDY'.

The adjacent 'Snow Bridge' (see separate listing) carried traffic over the River Kelvin at Partick until this bridge was constructed.

The parallel lattice covered pipeway to the SW is part of the nearby Partick Sewage Pumping Station and carried steam to the Kelvin Hall (see separate listings).

Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising 10 Dumbarton Road, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block, Art Gallery and Museum and The Cameronians Monument.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.