This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8372 / 55°50'14"N
Longitude: -4.2096 / 4°12'34"W
OS Eastings: 261722
OS Northings: 662654
OS Grid: NS617626
Mapcode National: GBR 0WW.R7
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.9JPY
Plus Code: 9C7QRQPR+V5
Entry Name: Dalmarnock Bridge, Dalmarnock Road, Rutherglen, Glasgow
Listing Name: Dalmarnock Road, Dalmarnock Bridge
Listing Date: 17 February 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377304
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33551
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Ashlar piers with cutwaters, the stonework carried up through parapets and bearing decorative cast-iron lamp standards. Buttresses have paired columns with foliated capitals and pink granite shafts. Curved quadrants at N bank. Stone steps down to riverside walkway at W. Slender iron bollards separating carriageway from footway.
An ornate communication between the parishes of Glasgow on the north bank and Rutherglen on the south. Decorative cast iron bridges are a particularly important part of the city's character. The stylistic allusions here are to Ruskin and to Venice. William Crouch and Charles Pullar Hogg formed their Glasgow-based engineering practice in 1876. Specialising in bridges, they were responsible for a viaduct over the Forth & Clyde Canal at Bowling (1896) and Bonhill Bridge (1898), in Dunbartonshire. The practice continued for many years after the demise of its founders. The original colour of the ironwork, currently oxide red, is uncertain. The railings on the handrail of the riverside staircase have been removed.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings