This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8394 / 55°50'21"N
Longitude: -4.2204 / 4°13'13"W
OS Eastings: 261052
OS Northings: 662917
OS Grid: NS610629
Mapcode National: GBR 0TV.KG
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.4HK9
Plus Code: 9C7QRQQH+QR
Entry Name: Cotton Spinning Mills, 121 Carstairs Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 101 Carstairs Street, Laird Business Park (Former Glasgow Cotton Spinning Co Mill)
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397620
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49924
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-stage stair and water tower at 7th bay dividing former carding and spinning rooms, paired round-arched windows to N and S and single light to W, all keystoned; corbelled cornice and curvilinear parapet. Bay 14 (to right) with smaller 5-stage tower, similarly detailed with windows to front only. Later tower to bay 17. To left, single-storey, 6-bay office with arcaded openings (some blocked) and linking impost level string course. E ELEVATION: 27-bay, similarly detailed to W elevation without towers. Engine house formerly projected from lower 3 floors between 6th and 8th bays from N. Windows with concrete lintels inserted later in place of rope-race. 12-bay N & S elevations, similarly detailed.
Some original 9-pane central hopper glazing. Horizontal glazing pattern to tower windows. 6 roof ridges.
INTERIOR: fireproof double brick arches (characteristic of Joseph Stott) on steel joists alternately carried on cast-iron columns with lengthwise main rolled iron beams. A grid of 19 by 5 columns in larger mule spinning area and 5 by 5 columns in carding rooms, divided by rope-race, now with concrete floors inserted. Basement blowing room similar, but ceilings lower and columns thicker. S outshoot with steeply-angled N-lights with fireproof brick-arched N slopes. Ground and 1st floors predominantly subdivided.
This former cotton mill is characterised by its massive scale with long uninterrupted runs of closely-arranged segmental-arched windows. It is a rare survival in an area where large industrial buildings proliferated during the 19th and 20th centuries. The fine streetscape presence is an important remnant of Glasgow's world famous textile industry.
The Dalmarnock area was developed later than neighbouring Bridgeton, with most of its industry introduced after 1860. The remaining evidence of this industrial past is mostly sited to the west of the main Dalmarnock Road. The mill was built on the site of the former Dalmarnock Dye Works for the Glasgow Cotton Spinning Co Ltd, the mill was the largest of its type in the city. Its Italianate influenced stairtowers are understood to have originally had French pavilion roofs.
The No 2 Mill, used for ring spinning, was added in 1890-1 and shared the chimney which has since been removed. The Carstairs Street mill was one of a pair of 'Oldham-type' cotton spinning mills in Glasgow, the other formerly standing on Swanston Street. The company ceased manufacturing in 1928 and was formally dissolved in 1932. Structural work by P & W Maclellan of Glasgow.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings