This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1965 / 56°11'47"N
Longitude: -2.996 / 2°59'45"W
OS Eastings: 338292
OS Northings: 700881
OS Grid: NO382008
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FQVB
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.YJH0
Plus Code: 9C8V52W3+JH
Entry Name: Co-Op Building, Durie Street, Leven
Listing Name: Durie Street and Waggon Road, Former Co-Operative Building
Listing Date: 15 March 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382428
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37353
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Probably early 20th century; 1997 converted to 32 flatted dwellings by Davidson Design, Kirkcaldy. 2-storey, 16-bay (grouped 1-4-1-3-3-1-3), wedge-plan, Edwardian Baroque former Co-Operative store. Yellow ashlar 1st floor over darker ashlar and modern harl to ground, channelled; similarly contrasted modern harl to rear. Deep granite frieze and cornice over ground floor, eaves cornice and deep band course, balustraded parapet to S. Channelled pilaster strips with Art Deco style capitals (see Notes). Segmental-headed keystoned doorcases with channelled pilaster strips continuing to 1st floor with broken segmental pediments overarching keystoned pedimented window with carved floreate swags on tympanum, the whole surmounted by 3-stage stepped blocking course. Architraved windows, some segmentally-headed; voussoirs.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ground floor with doorcase (see above) in bay to left of centre, 2-leaf door with 3-light semicircular fanlight, 4 windows in bays to left with pilaster strip beyond and further window to outer left; 3 windows to centre bays, pilaster strip and 3 windows to right, doorcase (see above) beyond, and 3 further windows with pilaster strip to outer right. Regular fenestration to 1st floor with clock on metalwork bracket with 'beehive' and dates '1885' and '1935' in bay to left of centre; balustraded parapet with carved swags flanking moulded panel over bay to outer left.
S (CORNER) ELEVATION: single bay with window and flanking pilasters to each floor, and balustraded parapet over.
SW (WAGGON ROAD) ELEVATION: (10 bay elevation at 1st floor) bipartite windows in 3 broader bays to outer left at ground, 3 windows to centre and 2 widely spaced windows to right with further window to outer right; 3 segmental-headed windows to left of centre at 1st floor, 3 windows to centre bays and 3 further windows to right below shouldered wallhead stack, single window to outer right below balustraded parapet with carved detail as above.
Modern windows throughout. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews.
In 1996, when almost derelict, the two Co-op buildings were taken over by the Kingdom Housing Assocation, and converted to flats at a cost of ?1.4 million. Accurate dating of this building is problematic owing to the dates of 1885 and 1935 on the clock bracket. It is, however, reasonable to assume on stylistic evidence that it belongs to the early years of the 20th century, and replaced that of 1885 at 14 Durie Street, now the Leven Library, and listed separately. The adjoining Art Deco block (listed separately) fits more comfortably into the 1935 date which could also coincide with ground floor modernisation of this building seen particularly in the stylised capitals to the pilaster strips. Four tiled murals which decorated the butchery department, and could also coincide with 1935 dating, depict picturesque local views (eg Cockmalane 1885) in bygone times, three have been restored. These tiles are now stored at Methil Heritage Centre.
Other nearby listed buildings