This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1969 / 56°11'48"N
Longitude: -2.9959 / 2°59'45"W
OS Eastings: 338302
OS Northings: 700919
OS Grid: NO383009
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FJXD
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.YHKR
Plus Code: 9C8V52W3+PJ
Entry Name: Co-Operative Store, Durie Street, Leven
Listing Name: Durie Street, Former Co-Operative Store
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393816
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46491
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1937; converted to flats 1997, Davidson Design, Kirkcaldy. 3-storey, 5-bay, L-plan, Art Deco style former Co-Operative building converted to flatted dwellings. Dominant 2-storey, 3-part window with granite frame and cornice, fielded bronze horizontal dividing band, and surmounted by carving depicting worker of the world with family and beehive. Deep granite frieze and ground floor cornice, and stepped flat-coped eaves. Large ashlar blocks and modern harl. Dividing pilasters at ground.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Modern door with flanking windows to centre bay at ground, bipartite windows to flanking bays and tripartite windows to outer bays. 1st and 2nd floors with 3-part window (as above) to slightly advanced centre bay, stepped-back flanking bays each with narrow, full-height 2-part POINTED/ANGLED and corniced window detailed as that to centre; further stepped back outer bays with bipartite windows. Narrow lights (inserted during 1990s alterations) to inner part of outer bays at 1st and 2nd floor, and to inner part of bays 2 and 4 at 1st floor only.
Small-pane glazing patterns (some horizontal) to 1st and 2nd floor windows (except new windows), modern glazing elsewhere. Grey slate to pitch-roofed side and rear elevations. Ashlar-coped skews.
This is the third Co-Operative building erected in Leven. The first dating from 1885 is now Leven Library, and the second (adjacent building) was probably erected at the beginning of the 20th century. After sitting empty for some years, this and the adjoining building were taken over by the Kingdom Housing Association in 1996. Conversion to 32 flats was achieved at a cost of ?1.4 million. Both earlier buildings are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings