This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1967 / 56°11'48"N
Longitude: -2.9952 / 2°59'42"W
OS Eastings: 338347
OS Northings: 700897
OS Grid: NO383008
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FK24
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.YHXX
Plus Code: 9C8V52W3+MW
Entry Name: St Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Durie Street, Leven
Listing Name: Durie Street, St Peter's Roman Catholic Church
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393821
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46495
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Robert Baldie of Glasgow, 1870; Session House 1902. Simple Gothic, rectangular-plan aisless church with gable front, octagonal-spired tower and 5-bay nave. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with droved ashlar dressings . Base and string courses to narthex; eaves cornice. 2-stage saw-tooth coped buttresses; traceried W window, pointed-arch openings, hoodmoulds, label-stops, voussoirs, stone mullions and chamfered reveals.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4 steps to centre bay with low flanking dies incorporated into base course leading to deeply moulded doorcase with paired nookshafts and hoodmould continuing over flanking small windows, broad 2-leaf boarded timber door and fanlight, and large decorative ironwork hinges; 4-light traceried window with hoodmould and decorative label-stops above. Flanking buttresses (that to right abutting tower, see below). Bay to left of centre with lancet under continuous hoodmould and buttressed outer left angle. Tower (see below) in bay to right.
TOWER: 3-stage, buttressed stair tower with bipartite window below arrowslit and monogrammed quatrefoil 'JSH' to 1st stage W, similar detail to S but with dated quatrefoil, outer angles flanking quatrefoils reducing (that to SW crowstepped) to octagonal 2nd stage belfry with hoodmoulded louvered openings; octagonal steeple with banded detail and decorative cast-iron finial.
S ELEVATION: simple 5-bay nave with window to each bay and 2 diminutive gablet-type roof ventilators; tower to outer left.
N ELEVATION: as above but with slightly projecting gabled stair tower to outer right, lancet to ground and bipartite window above.
E ELEVATION: almost full-width, low gabled bay projecting at ground, with raised centre tripartite window in gablehead.
Diamond-pattern leaded windows; multi-pane glazing with decoratively astragalled margins and tracery to W, and coloured glass to E. Grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stack and ashlar-coped skews with gablet skewputts.
INTERIOR: galleried nave; fixed timber pews, boarded dadoes, panelled gallery on cast-iron columns with stiff-leaf capitals. Ribbed ceiling and plain cornices. Carved Stations of the Cross; stained glass memorial window to Rev John S Hyslop, depicting St John (1901) and flanking WWI Memorial lights depicting Sts Peter and James (1922).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built as the United Presbyterian Church at a cost of ?2,150, the building was known as the Relief Church until 1900 when the UP and UF congregations joined, and was then dedicated to St John as a tribute to Rev John S Hyslop whose initials appear on the tower. In 1975, after the congregations of St John's and the Forman Church unified to form St Andrew's Parish Church, the building became St Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The Session House was replaced in 1902 after being destroyed by fire, and a pipe organ (largely funded by Mr Carlow) was installed in 1907, but is no longer evident. Stained glass WWI Memorial Windows, by Mr Ballantine of Edinburgh, depicting Sts Peter and James, were installed in 1922.
Other nearby listed buildings