This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3369 / 56°20'12"N
Longitude: -2.7839 / 2°47'2"W
OS Eastings: 351631
OS Northings: 716334
OS Grid: NO516163
Mapcode National: GBR 2R.4QJ4
Mapcode Global: WH7S0.6ZKF
Plus Code: 9C8V86P8+QC
Entry Name: 3 Balfour Place, St Andrews
Listing Name: 3 Balfour Place
Listing Date: 8 June 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 386846
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40830
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews
Town: St Andrews
Electoral Ward: St Andrews
Traditional County: Fife
Later to late 18th century, renovated 1948 by Gillespie & Scott. Single storey and attic East Neuk style house with single storey cottage to left (now incorporated into house). Harl, pantiles, gabled dormers breaking eaves, half-hipped roof.
WEST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: off-centre 2-leaf timber door with plain stone surround. 3 gabled dormers breaking eaves. Later alterations and additions to far right.
EAST ELEVATION: pair of bipartite gabled dormers breaking eaves to outer bays of attic floor. Later lean-to conservatory addition to left.
Timber windows, predominantly 12-pane traditional sliding sash and case with horns. Wallhead stack to N gable, stack to E elevation.
INTERIOR: renovated 1948 with good quality materials. Timber panelled doors, timber staircase with some reclaimed timber uprights and wrought iron. Simple moulded stone chimneypieces to principal rooms.
Situated opposite the medieval town wall, 3 Balfour Place is a traditional house in the East Neuk style which contributes positively to the streetscape. It may have had a connection with the nearby timberyard and sawmill with associated workers housing at Nos 4-8 Balfour Place (see separate listing) which was converted to housing along with No 3 as part of a wider scheme by Gillespie & Scott to renovate this then dilapidated area. 3 Balfour Place has further interest as an early example of renovation of a historic building in St Andrews.
A photograph taken in 1946 shows the building unharled and with a fully hipped roof at the South gable with a tall wallhead stack (there is now a half-hipped gable). A large ridge stack is also shown.
Other nearby listed buildings