This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.3369 / 56°20'12"N
Longitude: -2.7836 / 2°47'0"W
OS Eastings: 351653
OS Northings: 716330
OS Grid: NO516163
Mapcode National: GBR 2R.4QLC
Mapcode Global: WH7S0.6ZRG
Plus Code: 9C8V86P8+PH
Entry Name: 6 Balfour Place
Listing Name: 6, 7 and 8 Balfour Place Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 30 September 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398062
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50155
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews
Town: St Andrews
Electoral Ward: St Andrews
Traditional County: Fife
Tagged with: Architectural structure
Probably dating to earlier 19th century, 2-storey former sawmill/timber store converted to flats circa 1895 and to terraced housing circa 1948 by Gillespie & Scott, now 3 properties. Flat roofed with rubble to E elevation, harl to W elevation.
WEST (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: (nos 6 & 7) both 3-bay with central boarded timber entrance door with simple rectangular fanlight above. No 8, L-plan, single bay to left, projecting 2-storey piend-roof pantiled wing to right with
off-centre 2-leaf part-glazed timber door and string course dividing storeys.
EAST ELEVATION: 6 regularly spaced bays fronting directly on to Kinness Burn. Arched opening at river level at bay 3 now filled in, but discernible. 1st floor slated. Predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case windows, those to East elevation with horns. Gable stacks, further stacks set parallel along roof.
INTERIOR: some chimneypieces with arched cast-iron registers extant.
BOUNDARY WALLS: section of rubble wall fronting on to Kinness Burn to left of No 6.
This building was a sawmill and timber store, part of a small complex of buildings (see also listing for Nos 4 & 5 Balfour Place) owned by Mr Balfour of Balfour House (see separate listing). Local knowledge has suggested that the arched opening, which provided direct access to the Kinness Burn and consequently the harbour, was used to transport the timber, although it may have had further alternative purposes. It was converted to housing circa 1895 and is a particularly early and unusual example of an industrial building finding a new use as housing. It is also an important reminder of St Andrew's manufacturing history in this former industrial part of the town.
The Dean of Guild plans show that by circa 1895 the buildings were in possession of the Bruce family and remained so when the Gillespie & Scott drawings were created. The undated (but likely to be circa 1895) Dean of Guild plan shows a forestair on the West elevation providing access to the first floor flats. A single storey washhouse is also shown to the left, but it is not known if this was actually constructed. The Gillespie & Scott drawings show that the original scheme was modified particularly in the treatment of No 8.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings