This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1968 / 56°11'48"N
Longitude: -2.9954 / 2°59'43"W
OS Eastings: 338332
OS Northings: 700916
OS Grid: NO383009
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FK0Z
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.YHSS
Entry Name: Durie Street, Carlow Memorial Hall, St Andrews Parish Church Hall
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393818
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46493
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
A D Haxton, 1925. Single storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan gothic church hall with gabled porch. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Raised base course and eaves course. Pointed-arch openings; tracery and hoodmoulds with label stops. 3-stage battered saw-tooth coped buttresses. Voussoirs; raked cills, chamfered reveals and stone mullions.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: low full-width porch, centre bay with gabled and buttressed, deeply moulded doorcase with nookshafts and mask-stops, and 2-leaf panelled timber door with 5-light decoratively-astragalled small-pane fanlight; square-headed narrow flanking lights and tri-lobed hoodmoulded windows to outer bays. Large hoodmoulded window with curvilinear tracery to higher set-back finialled gable of hall.
NE ELEVATION: traceried 2-light window with dividing buttresses to each of 4 bays.
SW ELEVATION: lower gable of porch with arrow slit to outer left, traceried 2-light windows with dividing buttresses in bays to centre and left; modern lean-to extension to right.
SE ELEVATION: harled, gabled elevation with projecting piended roof of 'apse' below small pedimented former belfry? projecting from gablehead.
Multi-pane leaded glazing with decoratively-astragalled margins and tracery. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews with gablet skewputts and cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place including panelled and boarded dadoes, moulded cornices and part-glazed panelled timber doors. Hammerbeam roof and pointed 'apsidal' arch to SE dais.
Built by Charles Augustus Carlow for his father, Charles Carlow (1849-1923) former Chairman of the Fife Coal Company, the Carlow Memorial Hall was opened on 19th March, 1925. At that time it was associated with St John's Church (now the Roman Catholic Church of St Peter). In 1941 ownership of the church buildings and manse transferred to Trustees of Church of Scotland, but the Carlow Hall remained under ownership in trust of the minister and session clerk of St John's Church. St John's united with the Forman Church in April 1975.
Other nearby listed buildings