This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.07 / 56°4'12"N
Longitude: -3.4622 / 3°27'43"W
OS Eastings: 309068
OS Northings: 687320
OS Grid: NT090873
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PG5D
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SPHH
Plus Code: 9C8R3GCQ+24
Entry Name: Gatehouse, New Abbey Parish Church, Dunfermline Abbey
Listing Name: Dunfermline Abbey, Entrance Gateways and Boundary Walls and Railings, Including Toolhouse, to Abbey Nave and New Church
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394282
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46893
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
E gateway earlier 19th century; NW gateway, gates, railings and much of wall, mid-19th century; W gateway, railings and sections of W wall by R Rowand Anderson, 1891-92. Toolhouse 1897 by John Houston.
E GATEWAY: pair of octagonal-plan sandstone ashlar gatepiers with Gothic decoration; each with base course; 2-tiered panels decorated with cusped arches above; cornice with quatrefoil motifs. Moulded band course below pyramid coping with incised panels to sides. Cast-iron gates have band course of X-shaped motifs surmounted by crockets. Crocketed finials. Slightly plainer pedestrian gate to N.
NW GATEWAY: pair of square-plan coursed sandstone gatepiers with ashlar dressings. Plain frieze below deeply projecting moulded ashlar band course. Pyramid coping. Cast-iron gates have band course of X-shaped motifs surmounted by crockets. Crocketed finials. Similar pedestrian gate set within boundary wall at right angles to N of E pier.
W GATEWAY: pair of rectangular-plan Gothic Revival gatepiers adjoining low stepped walls flanking flight of stone steps in front of W entrance to abbey nave; all of coursed droved sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings. Gatepiers gableted with roll-moulded apex; each with 2-tier base course surmounted by recessed panel with flanking nook shafts and carved pointed apex to W. Engaged gate stanchions with gableted heads. 3 pairs of double cast-iron gates with wrought-iron decoration (including Art Nouveau finials); central pair of cast iron gateposts with embossed Gothic motifs, square in plan at base rising to octagonal tier with rounded octagonal head Adjoining flanking walls to steps stepped up in 3 stages terminating at pair of low octagonal piers with base course and moulded coping; roundels with carved trefoils to inner faces of upper 2 stages; lower stage of N wall inscribed 'this step(?) was erected by David Alexander in the year 1892'. Flanking walls to gateway; coursed dressed sandstone with ashlar coping; stepped down in 2 stages and surmounted by finialled railings on either side towards gates. Flight of steps continues to W of gateway.
BOUNDARY WALL/RAILINGS: abbey nave and new church bounded on most sides by coursed/rubble sandstone wall with ashlar/rubble coping; various heights. Cast-iron railings with crocketed finials to E and short section to NE adjoining gatehouse. Churchyard contains substantial number of gravestones, mostly of 18th and 19th century date.
GATEHOUSE: 2-bay rectangular-plan single storey Gothic Revival building. Coursed rockfaced sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; eaves band; crenellated parapet. Droved long and short surrounds and hood-moulds to openings. Bays divided by buttresses (including angle buttresses at corners) with gableted heads carved with 3-pointed cusped motif. Entrance with Entrance to right of E elevation; 2-leaf boarded timber door with ornamental cast iron strap hinges. Window to each bay to S elevation. Single window to W elevation. N elevation blank.
A-Group with Dunfermline Abbey, New Abbey Parish Church, Nave, Gatehouse, Remains of Dorter and Reredorter, Frater Range and Palace and Kitchen (see separate list descriptions).
Other nearby listed buildings