This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7685 / 55°46'6"N
Longitude: -4.1631 / 4°9'46"W
OS Eastings: 264395
OS Northings: 654908
OS Grid: NS643549
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9NR5
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.08WP
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9P+9Q
Entry Name: 140 Maxwellton Avenue, 138, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 136-140 (Even Nos) Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396070
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48667
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century. 2 3-bay, single storey and attic cottages. Painted rubble. Eaves course.
SW ELEVATION: entrance doors in 2nd and 4th bays from left; single windows in other bays; gabled dormer attic windows at 3rd and 5th bays.
Modern 2-pane glazing. Slate roof; short coped stacks at right gablehead and along ridge.
B-Group with 101, 103-105, 107-111, 115-121, 123-127, 129, 181, 106, 110, 114-118, 142, 144, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings