This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7683 / 55°46'5"N
Longitude: -4.1631 / 4°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 264392
OS Northings: 654889
OS Grid: NS643548
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9NR7
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.08VT
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9P+8Q
Entry Name: 142 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 142 Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396071
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48668
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century. 4-bay, single storey and attic cottage. Harled with painted margins. Band course; eaves course.
SW ELEVATION: entrance door in 3-rd bay from left; single windows in other bays; canted attic dormer windows in outer bays; central skylight.
Modern 2-pane glazing. Slate roof; large rubble coped stacks at gableheads.
B-Group with 101, 103-105, 107-111; 115-121, 123-127, 129, 181, 106, 110, 114-118, 136-140, 144, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings