History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newhousemill Road, Newhousemill Cottages

A Category C Listed Building in East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7557 / 55°45'20"N

Longitude: -4.1475 / 4°8'50"W

OS Eastings: 265327

OS Northings: 653461

OS Grid: NS653534

Mapcode National: GBR 3X.BD8X

Mapcode Global: WH4QV.8L8G

Entry Name: Newhousemill Road, Newhousemill Cottages

Listing Date: 13 June 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396081

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48677

Building Class: Cultural

Location: East Kilbride

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: East Kilbride East

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
East Kilbride

Description

Early 19th century; later alterations. Row of 3 single storey cottages. Squared and snecked rubble; quoins and raised margins to end cottage; identical composition to each cottage.

NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: each cottage: central door; 2 small windows flank to right; 2 small windows, distantly spaced, flank to left.

NE ELEVATION: blind; painted square shows location of old outbuilding.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: door with adjoining window in 1st bay and trio of windows flanking at 1st cottage to left; modern conservatory to central cottage; modern extension to right hand side cottage.

SW ELEVATION: outbuilding attached.

Modern glazing. Slate roof; straight skews; short coped stacks at gableheads and mutual stacks.

Statement of Interest

General Stuart of Torrance built these cottages to house workers from his cotton mill. In 1792, General Stuart of Torrance moved his cotton mill from Cotton Square to Newhouse to utilise the waterpower of the Calder Water. The lands at Newhouse were part of the Torrance estate and in the 1740s a manse had been erected for the minister of the Parish Church. However, the house was vacated in 1790, a factor which probably further encouraged the General to move his mill to the site. Along with a mill and workers' cottages, General Stuart may also have been responsible for the erection of Newhousemill Bridge. The mill is clearly marked on the 1st edition OS Map, but has since been cleared away for modern housing.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.