This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8885 / 55°53'18"N
Longitude: -3.0765 / 3°4'35"W
OS Eastings: 332768
OS Northings: 666678
OS Grid: NT327666
Mapcode National: GBR 60YB.RZ
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.Q863
Entry Name: 12 Park Road, Ardchattan Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 January 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397203
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49619
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay villa built between circa 1840 and 1854. Centre-doored 3-bay front (SE elevation) with pilastered ashlar doorpiece; slightly advanced bipartite window to left; canted box window to right; all with cornice and connecting string course. Square and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings including raised eaves course. Piended slate roof; corniced wallhead ashlar stacks with circular clay cans. Timber sash and case windows; plate glass to lower sash, multi-pane above to front; 8-pane to rear including large stair window. Panelled timber door with decorative fanlight. Plain NE gable wall; 20th century single storey, flat-roofed addition to rear. Low, 2-storey, L-plan former servants' wing attached to SW, pitched and piended slate roofs, enlarged openings to front; doors and windows to rear; gable end stack.
INTERIOR: notable features include glazed vestibule with tiled floor, oak floor to hall; stair opposite entrance with coloured glass in stair window; 2 large principal rooms to front with plastered ceilings including decorative Adamesque design to drawing room (SW room).
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: tall rubble wall to Park Road with curved coping. Tall, square-plan ashlar gatepiers with chamfered corners and pyramidal coping stones to timber carriage and pedestrian gate. Rubble walls also bound the garden to NE, SW and SE.
According to the present owner (2003), the house was once owned by a wood merchant who laid the timber floor and changed the front elevation windows and the stair window in 1908. The servants' wing included a butler's pantry, maids' quarters, 2 bedrooms and a hayloft.
No 12 is similar to other properties within the conservation area, and retains some original interior features and also its garden. It is one of the few houses to still retain the full extent of its grounds and some original planting, including a number of specimen trees. The original glass conservatory which stood to the SW of the house no longer remains.
Gellartly's 1834-1840 (exact date uncertain) New Map of the Country 12 miles round Edinburgh shows that this area of Dalkeith had not yet been developed. However, with the mid 19th century commercial boom in Dalkeith (which was boosted by the opening of the railway to Edinburgh, which runs to the south of No 12), areas surrounding the crowded town centre, such as this, began to be developed for housing.
Other nearby listed buildings