This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9945 / 55°59'40"N
Longitude: -4.8945 / 4°53'40"W
OS Eastings: 219573
OS Northings: 681735
OS Grid: NS195817
Mapcode National: GBR 06.VBFY
Mapcode Global: WH2M1.SLHC
Entry Name: Blairmore Pier
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398424
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50419
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Blairmore Pier, a hammerhead plan pier of timber pile construction is a crucial part of the development of the Holy Loch and the W shore of Loch Long. The piers of Blairmore, Strone and Kilmun served steamer traffic and hence made commuting to Glasgow a possibility. The pier is thus the reason for and the focus of the village of Blairmore.
The first pier was built at Blairmore in 1855 (McCrorie and Monteith, 1982, 43) to the designs of G Smith, Engineer. This appears to be largely that same pier, although a substantial improvement in 1873 (Ordnance Gazetteer, 1882) appears to have involved the extension of the pier head to almost twice its original width and length. The pier was modelled on that built in Kirn in 1845, with a break in the middle for a cattle ramp (McCrorie and Monteith, 43). No traces of this ramp have survived. The pier is of timber piles and cross-bracing, with a timber boarded deck and timber railings (probably 20th century). On the pierhead is a small timber boarded building, again of the later 20th century, as an earlier photograph shows different pierhead buildings. Regular traffic to Blairmore eventually ceased in 1971.
Materials: timber piles, timber deck and rails.
the pier was built by Campbell of Monzie to serve and encourage further development N along the shore. Steamers to and from Arrochar and Lochgoilhead called regularly at Blairmore.
Blairmore Pier re-opened for traffic in 2005.
Part of a B-Group with Blairmore Hall and Ticket Office and Blairmore Place.
Other nearby listed buildings