This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1455 / 57°8'43"N
Longitude: -2.0827 / 2°4'57"W
OS Eastings: 395091
OS Northings: 806072
OS Grid: NJ950060
Mapcode National: GBR SFM.KZ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.ZNDJ
Entry Name: 75 Waterloo Quay, Voyager House
Listing Date: 27 July 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399620
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50962
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1854. 3-storey, 7-bay warehouse (now offices) on prominent corner site with distinctive pilasters dividing bays and deep blocking course. Grey granite ashlar. Band course between ground and 1st floors. Raised cills.
S (Waterloo Quay) ELEVATION: Segmental-arched openings with aprons to ground floor; recessesed main entrance at central bay. Further door with ashlar margins to ground floor far left of W elevation. N ELEVATION: coursed rubble with regular fenestration. Pitched aluminium roof.
INTERIOR: Seen 2006. Extensively modernised.
No 75 Waterloo Quay is a good example of a warehouse located in Aberdeen's critical harbour area and it is a significant part of the streetscape. Of particular note are the broad pilasters dividing the bays and the distinctive curved corner bay. The building occupies a prominent corner position at Waterloo Quay and is visible from across the harbour. The segmental-arched openings are a feature that is repeated among the surviving group of warehouse buildings that line Waterloo Quay. Warehouses were critical to Aberdeen's mercantile history and many were located near the harbour area. Only a handful remain and these are an increasingly important part of the character of the harbour area.
In 1972, the oil and offshore support company, Seaforth Maritime aquired many of the properties at Waterloo Quay and began refurbishment to convert the warehouses to office space.
The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.
Other nearby listed buildings