This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6253 / 55°37'30"N
Longitude: -3.0596 / 3°3'34"W
OS Eastings: 333375
OS Northings: 637364
OS Grid: NT333373
Mapcode National: GBR 732D.DB
Mapcode Global: WH6V6.ZV7Z
Entry Name: Leithen Road, Leithen Bank
Listing Date: 21 May 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399906
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51083
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Early 19th century with later 19th century alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan symmetrical traditional house sited between the Leithen Water and mill lade. Roughly coursed whinstone rubble to principal elevation with painted sandstone ashlar dressings; painted render to sides and rear. Raised painted long and short quoins; tabbed window and door margins. Tiny square gable windows to attic, tall 4-pane window to later upper storey of rear gable. Small single storey piended extension to S gable. Glazed double doors to rear wing.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows with taller 4-pane window to rear gable. Broad 6-panel timber entrance door with fanlight and fine brass door furniture. Grey slate roof, zinc ridges, rendered gable end stacks. Cast-iron rooflights and rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: good early 19th century decorative detailing with characteristic details. Low and wide 6-panel timber doors, panelled shutters, plain cornicing. Plain timber balustrade to main dogleg stair with later angled timber stair leading to later back room; evidence of blocked in stair window. The ground floor section to the rear has been modernised but within a small cupboard is evidence of original cobbled floor. Door to narrow turned timber stair to attic rooms with plain fireplace, box beds and servant's bell.
Leithen Bank is a good example of an early 19th century, or even late 18th century, villa boasting fine quality stonework to the principal elevation and retaining interesting interior details such as maids quarters to the attic with box beds with remnants of wallpaper and bell call system.
The building is shown on Dobson's map of 1849 as a T-Plan as it is today; it is likely that the rear section was outhouses, as evidenced by the cobbled floor. The property changed hands in 1879 and then again in 1893 at which point it is believed the single storey outhouse to the rear was raised to incorporate a new stair and maids or housekeeper's room.
Leithen Bank is prominently sited on the Leithen Road, the way into Innerleithen from the North, and is part of the older part of the centre of the town before the development of the High Street in the late 19th century. The house may have been built as a Manse for the Traquair Estate; the Rev. James Nicol was in residence from 1846-1879.
Other nearby listed buildings