This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.288 / 53°17'16"N
Longitude: -3.2073 / 3°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 319611
OS Northings: 377464
OS Grid: SJ196774
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z1F.F1
Mapcode Global: WH76K.PMW6
Entry Name: Basingwerk Abbey
Listing Date: 19 August 1991
Last Amended: 19 August 1991
Source ID: 505
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Near the N end of the Greenfield Valley.
Community: Holywell (Treffynnon)
Built-Up Area: Holywell
Traditional County: Flintshire
The Abbey was founded in 1131 as a Savignac house and moved to this site before 1157 when it became affiliated to the Cistercian Abbey of Buildwas. The plan form is typical of Cistercian houses. It was dissolved in 1536 and then owned by the Mostyns of Talacre; fell into disuse by C18 since when much of the fabric has been removed.
Early C13 church with 7-bay aisled nave, transepts with paired eastern chapels and a square-ended, aisles, presbytery. S transept W wall and crossing pier form the tallest remains of church. Triple corbelled chancel arch springers survive. The chapter house on the E claustral range has an octagonal pier supporting 2-round arches at the entrance; this forms part of a C12 chamber, enlarged contemporary with the building of the church. The S end of the E range had the dorter and mid C13 warming house - the bases of 2 drum piers remain in the latter which was once vaulted; some C15 remodelling. The refectory on the S side is mid C13 and retains a fine, arcade W wall with annulettes to shafts; this included the reader's pulpit within the rounded arch and the adjacent lancets lit the projecting stairs. At the corner between the E and S ranges is the base of the day-stairs. Post-Dissolution half-timbered range to SE on site of former Infirmary or Abbots Lodgings.
Listed Grade I as an important Welsh example of a Cistercian abbey.
Basingwerk Abbey is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Other nearby listed buildings